include "../../../misc/share/checkcounter.php"; ?>
Cervical Screening Programme - Health Professionals
Cervical Screening Programme
Department of Health
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Version] [繁體中文] [簡体中文]
[Site Map] [Search]
Communication with Clients
- For old cases, always review records.
- Check for previous smear results.
- Check for history of cervical cancer/pre-cancerous cell
- Check for history of hysterectomy.
- Confirm whether or not clients are sexually active, their
parity and last menstrual period.
- Contraceptive methods / hormonal drug usage.
- Previous smear taking history and results / previous history
of cervical cancer or CIN lesions.
- Previous history of hysterectomy / sub-total hysterectomy
/ LEEP or cone biopsy.
- Present history of chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
- Present gynaecological problems: abnormal vaginal discharge,
- ntermenstrual bleeding and postmenopausal bleeding. Go
through the checklist for women.
- Explain to the client the reasons for cervical cancer
screening and the procedures. Use of anatomical models and
sample instruments may be helpful.
- Tell the client to alert you if she feels uncomfortable
during the test.
- Advise the client on relaxation techniques, such as deep
breathing during the test to reduce discomfort.
- Explain benefits of providing personal data and smear
result to the Cervical Screening Registry and obtain client's
- Address any concerns and questions from the client.