include "../../../misc/share/checkcounter.php"; ?>
Cervical Screening Programme - Health Professionals
Cervical Screening Programme
Department of Health
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Version] [繁體中文] [簡体中文]
[Site Map] [Search]
Right Environment & Correct Positioning
- Male doctors are advised to be accompanied by female chaperone.
- Ensure privacy: e.g. close bed screen, lock room door and lower
- Ask client to remove trousers and underpants.
- Provide cover sheet to cover the abdomen may reduce embarrassment.
- Ask the client to lie supine on the examination couch, with
knees flexed, thighs spread, and feet rest on the pedals or bed
- The left lateral position can be used if smears are difficult
to obtain, such as in older women with lax anterior vaginal wall.
- Ensure the client is comfortable.
- Provide a running commentary of what you are doing during the
examination may help alleviating anxiety of the client.